Home| Contact Us  

0800 725 463

part of menu

Navigation Bar Image
external link iconMinistry of Health
external link iconNZ Government
 horizontal line



Help to Stay at Home  Financial support    

Services for Seniors
For a summary of financial support for older adults click on the link for the Services for Seniors booklet produced by the Ministry of Social development (MSD)
National Superannuation
If you are at home and your partner in care receives Residential Care Subsidy, Work and Income will automatically increase your NZ Super to the single, living alone rate. If your partner pays their own fees, you can apply for the single, living alone rate.
Accommodation Supplement
You might be able to get help with the cost of renting, boarding or owning a home. Accommodation Supplement is income and asset tested.
Advance Payment of Benefit
If you have immediate need for an essential item such as dentures, hearing aids or glasses, and have no other way to meet these costs, you may be able to get an Advance from Work and Income. This is income and asset tested and must be paid back. If you receive Residential Care Subsidy you will not be asked to use your personal allowance to repay the Advance. Recovery is generally sought from the estate.
Disability Allowance
This helps towards extra disability costs, e.g. help with lawn mowing, a medical alarm or medical expenses. Your doctor has to complete a medical certificate for Work and Income to help decide eligibility. The allowance is income tested.
Special Disability Allowance
Partners of those receiving Residential Care Subsidy may get this allowance to help meet the costs of visiting.  
SuperGold Card
This card replaces the Community Services Card and the NZ Super Card. It gives over-65s discounts and concessions at participating businesses. Entitlement to subsidies on doctors’ fees and prescriptions is noted on the card for those who qualify. Apply through Work and Income.
Community Services Card
Criteria for entitlement to Community Services Card and help with health costs  
Prescription Subsidy Card
Once you have the Prescription Subsidy Card, you do not have to pay any more prescription charges for the rest of the year. You're eligible for the card once you've paid for 20 new prescription medicine items from 1 February each year.   
High Use Health Card
If you do not qualify for Community Services Card subsidy but have frequent doctor visits for a chronic health condition, you might qualify for a high-use health card. This card reduces the cost of prescriptions and fees for doctor visits. Discuss with your doctor.
Rates rebate
If your income is limited, you may qualify for a rates rebate. Contact your local council.  
Discount Taxi Vouchers
This reduces the cost of taxi travel for people assessed as unable to use public transport because of permanent disability. Those eligible hold an identity card. The scheme is managed by a number of disability organisations and you need to join the organisation. Participating agencies include Alzheimer’s, Stroke Foundation, Age Concern and others.


Click to return to the homepage