Home| Contact Us  

0800 725 463

part of menu

Navigation Bar Image
external link iconMinistry of Health
external link iconNZ Government
 horizontal line



Services  Help to stay at home   Safety Issues
Personal Medical Alarms
There are a wide range of alarms available. Alarms can be professionally monitored, can be linked to family members, can be worn or located in the house and can serve other functions such as medication alerts. There are many providers of these alarms. Cost may be covered by Disability Allowance for those who qualify - click on the link for Work & Income medical alarm information.
Tracking systems
Personal tracking systems are available for people with dementia who wander. The tracking watch / pendant emits a pulse using a specific frequency which can be detected by police / search and rescue. The tracking system may not be appropriate for all people with dementia. Contact Alzheimer's New Zealand for advice / assessment before purchase.
Sensor systems
There are a number of different devices available that can be used to monitor safety. These include mats which can be used to alert movement from bed, chair etc, bed sensors that can be set to detect abnormal movement or prolonged absence from bed and fall detectors, intended for those prone to falls. The device automatically sends a message when the wearer falls, so that help can be sent. Click on the link for a list of suppliers of sensor systems.

Protective clothing
There are a range of protective clothing options including hip, ankle, knee and limb protectors. Hip protectors are designed to help prevent hip fractures from falls. Lightweight shields are worn with supporting underwear to provide protection for anyone who may be at risk. Limb Protectors are protective garments for arms and legs to protect frail older skin from bruising and skin tears. They are made from skin toned Lycra fabric and can be worn uncovered by clothing or under clothing without appearing bulky.
Falls Prevention
You can take some simple steps to improve your strength and prevent yourself from falling. You can also make your home safer to live in. Click on the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) link for more information.
Elder Abuse and Neglect
Contact your local Age Concern office or click on the link for more information on elder abuse; how to identify it and where to go for support

Click to return to the homepage