Home| Contact Us  

0800 725 463

part of menu

Navigation Bar Image
external link iconMinistry of Health
external link iconNZ Government
 horizontal line



Social support  

Below are suggestions on places you might contact for activities in your local area.

Citizens Advice Bureau – 0800 367 222

Local CAB’s keep a large database of information on senior citizen’s clubs and societies, walking groups, exercise classes and special interest groups.

Specific Need Groups

Communities often establish recreation groups and leisure activities to meet specific needs. Examples of these are the Stroke Foundation, Foundation for the Blind, Arthritis NZ, Diabetes NZ. If you have a specific need, contact the appropriate agency for more information.  

Community Centres & Community Houses

Local Community Centres and Houses often cater for older adults with activities such as Gentle Exercise classes, 50’s+ programmes, Yoga classes etc. Contact Community Centres direct or ring your local Council for contacts.  

Community Education

Classes are held in a number of secondary schools in Auckland with a wide range of topics offered. Information on classes is published regularly in community newspapers, or contact your local school to see if they offer Community Education programmes.

Needs Assessment

Needs Assessment workers also have information on activities programmes in your local area – click on the link below for contacts   

 Find local contacts

Concessions for Older Adults

In many regions people with a SuperGold Card can travel off peak for free on public transport. Card holders may also be able to travel free on weekends and public holidays.
The Total Mobility Scheme helps people with a permanent disability assessed as unable to use public transport. Card holders are entitled to reduced taxi fares. Application forms are available from disability organisations like Alzheimer’s Foundation, Stroke Foundation and others.
Super Gold Card

This card is for all New Zealand residents 65 years and over and those under 65 years who qualify for NZ Superannuation (NZS) or Veterans Pension(VP). The SuperGold Card replaces the Community Services Card (CSC) and the NZ Super Card. Entitlements are shown on the back of the card (e.g. with initials CSC , NZS, VP). The card can be used to receive discounts and benefits from participating businesses. Contact your local Work and Income Super Centre.  

Most venues will provide discounts to senior citizens on admission costs. Some conditions may apply.  


Click to return to the homepage