Skip to main content Site Map

Healthy Homes

Depending on your situation there are supports to ensure that the home you are living in is warm and dry.

If you are renting, there are standards that landlords are required to meet. This includes criteria around heating, insulation, ventilation, moisture and drainage, and draught stopping. See Tenancy Services() for more information on this.

If you are living in your own home and meet certain eligibility criteria you may be able to get some financial support towards the cost of home insulation through the Warmer Kiwi Homes() programme

If you are not eligible for the Warmer Kiwi Homes programme there are other supports to help pay for insulation and heating. Click here() for more details

Social Housing

This type of housing may be available if you cannot afford a private rental. The costs are likely to be lower. Houses are rented out by Kāinga Ora (ex Housing New Zealand) and other Community Housing Providers. You can apply for social housing through Work and Income()

In some regions Community Housing Providers offer housing for older people, for example Haumaru Housing() in the Auckland Region. In other areas local councils() administer housing for older adults.

Assisted Living Accommodation

This type of accommodation provides some services to support you to live independently in the community. An example is a shared housing situation with meals provided, such as Abbeyfield. Sometimes retirement villages provide rental accommodation with the option to purchase additional supports. This type of accommodation is not available in all areas. The Eldernet website lists this type of housing under Retirement Villages - rental()