Needs assessment and service coordination
The primary point of contact for services for older adults is Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC). NASC services cover help to stay at home, support services for carers and entry into residential care. They can also link with other District Health Board (DHB) services and community based agencies.
There are two NASC contacts for Northland:
Health of Older People, Northland DHB
Area includes: Covers the whole of Northland except Hokianga (see below)
Website: www.northlanddhb.org.nz(external link) / Healthpoint for Northland(external link)
Phone: 09 430 4131 or 0800 88 88 90
Address: Northland DHB, Private Bag 9742, Whangarei 0148
Hauora Hokianga / Hokianga Health
Area includes: Hokianga, Broadwood, Horeke, Kohukohu, Omapere, Panguru, Rawene.
Website: www.hokiangahealth.org.nz(external link)
Phone: 09 405 7709 or 021 457 712
Address: Hokianga Health Hospital, Private Bag 753, Kaikohe.
Other useful contacts
Meals on Wheels
- Mid North: The number of days this is available depends on the area clients reside. Contact: John Davis 09 404 0280 ext 64027 or Sasha Rewa 09 404 0280 ext 64028.
- Dargaville: Dargaville Hospital Meals on Wheels contact: 09 439 3330 ext 6701.
Please note that Meals on Wheels are not available in all areas, check with your local provider.
Other meal providers
- Whangarei, 09 430 4101 ext 7952.
- Kaikohe, 0800 100 643, option 1.
- Kerikeri, 09 407 9910.
- Kawakawa, 09 404 2858 ext 64032
- Kaeo, 09 405 0134. Kaitaia, 09 408 9181 ext 4711.
- Mangawhai, 09 431 4355 / 021 413 614.
- Northland DHB have a number of Shuttle Services(external link) available. All shuttle services are available for patients Monday to Friday. Health shuttles are available for people who may require transport. The service is usually free for people attending outpatient appointments, parents of children with an appointment at the hospital and carers attending with patients, although a Koha (donation) is always welcomed.
Seniorline compiles lists of services and facilities in Northland. See below for listings of rest homes and hospitals, retirement villages, rental accommodation, activities and day programmes and homecare agencies.
Northland activities and day programmes [PDF, 99 KB]
Northland home care [PDF, 96 KB]
Northland rest home and hospital listings [PDF, 54 KB]
Northland rental accommodation [PDF, 83 KB]