Skip to main content Site Map

It is okay to talk about some aspect of care which concerns you or your family / whanau. Dealing with a small issue early can prevent a larger problem.

Rest homes and hospitals must meet the requirements of: 

  • Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights
  • Health and Disability sector standards
  • Aged Residential Care Contract with the District Health Board (DHB)

If you feel that care is not up to standard it is always best to first talk or write directly to the manager / owner. 

You can make a complaint to the provider - all rest homes and hospitals are required to have a complaints process. Health Advocates() can offer support if you are uncomfortable with this.

If you are not satisfied after talking with the provider, then:

  • For concerns about quality of care, contact the Health and Disability Commission() or a DHB Funding Manager().
  • For concerns about services the facility is required to provide residents, contact Seniorline.
  • For concerns about how much you have to pay, check the Admission Agreement with the rest home or hospital, this should specify all charges.
  • For financial issues you are not able to resolve with a rest home or hospital, contact the Funding Manager for the local DHB. Phone Seniorline 0800 725 463 for contacts.


Health Advocates 0800 555 050
Health & Disability Commission 0800 11 22 33
MOH resources for making a complaint()


You have the right to move to another facility.

If you have been in a rest home / hospital for a while, or if your health has changed, it is best to have a reassessment to check the level of care you require. Liaise with needs assessment (NASC) before making a move. A service coordinator may need to complete paperwork for the transfer.

If you experience any difficulty, ask your local NASC for assistance. The national contract between care providers and District Health Boards (DHBs) requires that the provider supports the transfer.

Transfer to another DHB requires a recent (less than 6 months old) interRAI assessment and approval of the receiving NASC team for that area prior to the move. This applies to all residents.

Check the length of notice required in your Admission Agreement, industry norm is 21 days. This period of notice can make transfer difficult as Ministry of Health will not pay subsidy to two different facilities at the same time.